Tuesday 25 June 2013

Infestation

I have a plant, yet another that I don't know what it is but I'm happy to see it grow and do it's thing; it's been in a large pot for the last couple of years, it bursts into life in spring developing masses of leaves before tall shoots spring upwards and small pink flowers appear usually in mid to late spring - this year it's been later than usual along with most plants to be fair but now it's flowered is looking a bit bedraggled - initially I thought it might need re-potting or a good feed but on closed inspection it's crawling with aphids.


Now I'm not sure the Aphids would cause it's current bedraggled state and suspect it's a combination of needing a good feed and re-potting but I'm amazed at just how may Aphids are crawling over it (and please correct me if these aren't Aphids, I know they're normally green), it's surprising that the flowers are still upright with the weight of them and the lack of sap. I don't know anything about Aphid control, initially I tried squishing them off with my fingers but soon gave this up as a losing battle and am letting nature take her course.

I've been thinking I may plant this out rather than re-pot, my raised beds at the back of the garden are surrounded by Dandelions & Buttercups - a never ending war; I covered up an area with old compost bags last year to kill of the weeds and have sprinkled wild flower seed this year to create a miniature ( and I do mean miniature - about 1.5 x 4ft) wild flower meadow - I think I can find a space for this somewhere & it can do battle with the local weeds and add a touch of colour, may even attract some beneficial insects.

No comments:

Post a Comment