Sunday 30 June 2013

Apples Under Attack...

My Apple tree (hopefully soon to be an Espalier) is under attack! I noticed a couple of leaves were skeletal,  nothing left but the main veins, on closed inspection I noticed lots of little green caterpillar's busily munching away many of the appearing to hang by their jaws only - quite an impressive feat really.

Rather than squish them all or use a pesticide I detached the leaves which where a lost cause anyway and discarded to a wild bit of the garden where they can take their chances but will probably just become part of the food chain, on checking the rest of the tree I couldn't see anything resembling eggs so I'm hoping that's the last of them.
Leafroller Catapillars?
I've been trying to identify exactly what they are, lots of Google image searching for Green Caterpillar with Black Head on Apple Tree Leaf hasn't managed to confirm, I initially thought they were Leafroller Caterpillar's - that said I couldn't find any evidence of leaf rolling, might be they are too young, and the heads seem to be darker plus these have a row of black dot's down each side - can anyone confirm what these are?


No comments:

Post a Comment